Thursday, October 4, 2012

Bland Greek Desserts


My daughter was visiting her grandparents in Texas one summer when she was just 6 years old.  One warm Saturday afternoon, she called me eager to tell me about their day spent at a local Greek festival.
“What did you do?”  I asked, smiling in to my cell phone.
“We watched dancers and walked around a lot.  Gramma made me shop with her.”  I could hear my mother laughing in the background.
“Did you get to eat any of the food?”
She got extremely worked up, taking a huge breath to begin rattling off all the unique treats she’d gotten to sample.  “Yes!”  She practically screamed in my ear.  “We had lamb meat.”
“Gyro.”  I informed her.
“Uh-huh.  And chicken kabob.  And hummus with pita chips…and a dip I didn't really like and we had uh…uh…”
I heard her cover up the mouthpiece of her grandmother’s cell phone.  “Gramma,” she whispered.  “What was that dessert thingy we ate?”
I heard my mother’s faint response of “bakalava”.
"Oh yeah," She whispered back.  Then said excitedly to me, “And ma, we had blah-blah-blah!”
I don’t know who laughed louder, me or my mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment