Monday, October 1, 2012

Happily Never After


Literally failing to function after an unbelievably hard breakup, following directly on the heels of a lay off from my job, my best friend was practically worrying herself sick trying to keep me from going all the way under.
The weekend was fast approaching and she didn't want to leave me in the midst of my painfully broken and disappointed heart.  Acting out of desperation, she called me early that Thursday evening.

“Hello?”  I croaked, my voice still warbling in and out of control.

“Hey.  How are you doing?”

“Okay.”  I paused to get control of myself before I burst in tears again.  “I just can’t believe how horribly painful this is.”  My chin began to twitch so I shut up.

“That’s why I was calling.”  She sounded rather cheery.  “Listen, I don’t want you to be alone this weekend, but I've got to go to the Springs.  There’s this girl - cute story really - getting married.  She’s doing a pagan ritual wedding and exchanging the hand-fasting vows and all that.  I think it will be a wonderfully romantic time.  Why don’t you come with me?”

The loaded silence enveloped us while I waited for her to realize what she was asking of me.  After a few awkward moments, she ended the call with a hasty apology.

No comments:

Post a Comment