Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Sub-stantial?

Thinking myself starving, I left work in the late morning and jetted down the street to the nearest Subway.  The creaking door echoed as I stepped in to the deserted restaurant.  A young girl peered around the edge of the back room and held up a quick finger.  I waited patiently in the silence.

Soon, she was out and helping me build a delicious breakfast flatbread sandwich.  While the ingredients heated up, I attempted to strike up some small talk.

"A bit dead while you wait on the lunch rush to begin, huh?"

She shrugged, looking up directly at me as she responded: "Oh no.  I'm always busy with a pretty heavy breakfast crowd straight through to lunchtime."

Uh...I looked around me, certain I had not been mistaken on the emptiness of the dining area.

"Will that be all for you ma'am?"

"Yes."  Yep.  That's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment